Snazzydabomb

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Last moments of a thief

As I lay in my bed, eyes staring upwards into the semi darkness, gradually getting accustomed to the semi darkness, I could make out a faint silhouette of my old, rickety chair, the only piece of furniture in this shack I called a room. I groped for my torchlight beside my matress and pointed it in the direction of the clock.It was 6. am; a new day had begun. I could hear the faint rustle of leaves as the birds chirped to signal the resumption of a daily routine of nest building. I could hear my neighbours stirring to activity in preparation for a new day.
I rose up lazily, picked up my old bristly toothbrush, rubbed some salt on the wellworn bristles, went outside to brush my teeth. I came in afterwards, picked up my iron bucket, went to the water tap that served the whole compound,fetched some water with which I took my bath.
I threw my threadbare shirt over my back, slipped into my worn out trousers, slipped my feet into sandals that had seen better days.
I stood at my doorsteps, looked ahead, not looking at anything in particular. I just stared into space; the tears welled up in my eyes because all I could see around me was wretchedness. The future looked bleak, all I could see was poverty all around me. I had nothing to look forward to.
I flicked the tears away with my bony wrists and trudged out.
With no destination in mind, I approached the market place. "Phil", I turned as I heard my name. I saw my friend John, running toward me. There was this look he had on his face, the look of a man who had just struck gold. He took me aside and led me into a secluded place. Looking sneakily from left to right to see if anyone else was there. Seeing none, he reached into his underpants and brought out something. "Oh my!" I screamed below my breath. "A gun!' He hushed me.
"I want you to accompany me somehwere", he said. I obliged.
We trudged along until we arrived at a neighbourhood. We approached a house in that neighbourhood. John signalled for me to wait outside for him. He went in.
One minute,two minutes,5 minutes........
Thief! Thief! Thief! I heard the screams coming from inside the house. I saw John spring out with the speed of a bullet from the house."What the... He whistled past me before I could say a word. I was in a daze, transfixed to the spot. Before I could gather my wits together, I saw the mob advancing toward me with matchetes, wielding big sticks and clubs. I could see the anger, I could see the hatred in their eyes, I could feel it seeping through their pores. I could see that they were hungry for blood. I tried to run but it was too late. The angry crowd had closed in on me. Blows descended on me. I could feel sticks, matchetes and clubs punding on my head, neck chest, awwww! my legs...
I looked around for a way to escape, I saw none. I could feel my own blood flowingfreely down my face, into my mouth, all over my body. I was in so much pain.
"Burn him", I heard a voice say. Out of nowhere, tyres appeared, they were put around my writhing body.
"Petrol please", I heard another voice ask. I felt a cold liquid poured all over me, I could see someone strike a match.
In that split second, my whole life flashed before me; I could see my mother on her deathbed, asking me to stay off bad freinds. "Bad friends corrupt good manners, my son", I could hear her saying. I could see myself as a child, playing happily with not a care in the world.
Suddenly, the air smelled fresher, the grass looked greener, I became very aware of my surroundings and alas, I knew I wanted to live. I tried to spring up and run but it was too late.
I was enveloped by flames, I tried to free myself but I was too weak to help myself. The heat was unbearable. The flames leaped and licked at me with increasing ferocity, searing my flesh. In that instant, I knew the end had come. I felt a numbness creep up on me even in the intense heat. Gradually, the noises were fading, my eyes dimmed as a very heavy sleep took me over then all I could see was darkness, darkness, darkness...

7 Comments:

  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger Greatpeter said…

    Snazzy you won't stop stunning me.
    Good work babe.

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Sam Oracle said…

    You really write well.
    Nice Blog and post

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice!
    Linked here from the post on Nairaland. Pretty unique (and unusual!) thing you did, trying to capture d world from a d Robber's point of view.

    Jungle justice is a terrible thing indeed. I havent seen anyone being burnt, but i've seen women and children gathered round a smoking corpse once. Was in Umuahia, on my way to a village called Ohafia (did my service in Abia state)when i saw women and kids poking the smouldering corpse with sticks And laughing happily.
    I think at such times humans degenerate into beasts, into something sickening and sub-human. it's truly a pity, but as my fave Lord of the Rings quote says, "What can men do against such reckless hate?"

    Nice article, all the same!

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow! This is some great write up. I like the way the story came from the storyteller's point of view. Keep it up. BTW, what happened to the friend?

     
  • At 4:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Wow! This is some great write up. I like the way the story came from the storyteller's point of view. Keep it up. BTW, what happened to the friend?

     
  • At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your story was good and you can make a very good writer my dear but if the writer died that day, then he couldn't have written the story...you forgot that a dead man can't write his story...but good work though...
    ifyneo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home